Custom Hand Bindings for Single Volumes, Sets, or Limited Editions
(Scroll Down for Pictures)
Our pricing is based on an hourly rate plus materials. Each project is unique and may have special circumstances. Therefore, each project is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. We strongly suggest that you call or visit for a personalized estimate. The general turn around time for most projects is 5 months.
Restoration of Antiquarian Leather Book Bindings
- Re-backing or re-hinging damaged leather bindings, duplicating the original material, coloration, patterning and tooling as closely as possible.
- Re-backing spine over, if the majority of the original spine is salvageable laying it over newly matched leather spine.
- Insetting original tooled inner panels or medallions from very badly damaged boards into new leather boards colored and tooled to blend the original material with the new.
- Reinforcing hinges, or head and tail caps on less worn volumes with carefully matched and pared leather.
- Re-cornering and rebuilding the badly dented, worn, or rubbed corners of leather boards to protect the integrity of the text block and re-solidify the book aesthetically.
- Recreating by hand in period 15 th – 20 th century full, half or three quarter leather bindings with period style gilt or blind tooling and labels.
- All internal paper repairs, and re-sewing broken volumes when necessary.
- Refurbishing, cleaning, oiling and all other aspects of leather book binding conservation.
Restoration of Period Cloth & Paper Book Bindings
- Re-backing with closely matched cloth/paper in appropriate weights, colors and patterns.
- Re-back spine over, as with leather reapplying salvageable original material on newly reinforced spine colored to match.
- Reinforcing hinges or head and tail caps.
- Re-cornering , rebuilding damaged book board, cloth and paper.
- Rebinding in full, half or three quarter cloth/paper period bindings.
- Dust jacket repair on modern first editions.
- Refurbishing, re-coloring, cleaning and conserving
Restoration of Early Vellum Book Bindings
- Re-backing split or broken vellum bindings with old or newly antiqued vellum. Labeling with colored panels, leather, or calligraphy.
- Re-backing spine over.
- Patching holes in the vellum covers with old material.
- New vellum bindings of all periods and styles.
- Re-lacing, securing loose bindings.
- Softening and relaxing dried, shrunk or sprung vellum bindings.
Custom Book Bindings for Single Volumes, Sets or Limited Editions
- Almost anything is possible, we are only limited by your creativity.
- Miniature books are also one of our specialties.