(Scroll Down for Pictures)
Our pricing is based on a fair hourly rate plus materials. Each project is unique and may have special circumstances. Therefore, each project is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. We strongly suggest that you call or visit for a personalized estimate. The general turn around time for most projects is 8-10 weeks.
Prices Generally Starting at:
1/4 Leather $325
Full Leather $375
Restoration of Antiquarian Leather Book Bindings
- Re-backing or re-hinging damaged leather bindings, duplicating the original material, coloration, patterning and tooling as closely as possible.
- Re-backing spine over, if the majority of the original spine is salvageable laying it over newly matched leather spine.
- Insetting original tooled inner panels or medallions from very badly damaged boards into new leather boards colored and tooled to blend the original material with the new.
- Reinforcing hinges, or head and tail caps on less worn volumes with carefully matched and pared leather.
- Re-cornering and rebuilding the badly dented, worn, or rubbed corners of leather boards to protect the integrity of the text block and re-solidify the book aesthetically.
- Recreating by hand in period 15 th – 20 th century full, half or three quarter leather bindings with period style gilt or blind tooling and labels.
- All internal paper repairs, and re-sewing broken volumes when necessary.
- Refurbishing, cleaning, oiling and all other aspects of leather book binding conservation.
Restoration of Period Cloth & Paper Book Bindings
- Re-backing with closely matched cloth/paper in appropriate weights, colors and patterns.
- Re-back spine over, as with leather reapplying salvageable original material on newly reinforced spine colored to match.
- Reinforcing hinges or head and tail caps.
- Re-cornering , rebuilding damaged book board, cloth and paper.
- Rebinding in full, half or three quarter cloth/paper period bindings.
- Dust jacket repair on modern first editions.
- Refurbishing, re-coloring, cleaning and conserving
Restoration of Early Vellum Book Bindings
- Re-backing split or broken vellum bindings with old or newly antiqued vellum. Labeling with colored panels, leather, or calligraphy.
- Re-backing spine over.
- Patching holes in the vellum covers with old material.
- New vellum bindings of all periods and styles.
- Re-lacing, securing loose bindings.
- Softening and relaxing dried, shrunk or sprung vellum bindings.
Custom Book Bindings for Single Volumes, Sets or Limited Editions
- Almost anything is possible, we are only limited by your creativity.
- Miniature books are also one of our specialties.